Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Tipping Adelaide vs Newcastle

It's 3am. I'm writing this rather psyched up to go into town to watch Australia play Denmark, strangely detached this time from the whole winning/losing thing, but excited and anxious nevertheless.

Jacob is still asleep. I'll wake him at around 4.45 so we can catch the 5.12 into town to go to the Pig n' Whistle. My own alarm was due to go off in another half an hour but stuff it I can never sleep once I've woken up so I'm using the time to get a bit of stuff done, including this post.

Well the tippers have less points to go for each time now, as the A-League contenders whittle to three and the weeks to two. Here are our scores:

Jacob: 39
John: 36
Hamish: 35
Tony: 34
Dave: 34
Drsimmo: 33

We're only just beginning to be sorted out ourselves, with Drsimmo needing all six remaining points to just draw with Jacob. With a three point lead over second place, Jacob is looking a bit like Melbourne in mid-season. If he keeps his tipping form for this weekend, I'm going to owe him a dinner. Quite convenient for me really.

Note a new ad hoc ruling: I'm only giving points for the full time result. If you predict a draw, by all means say who you think will win a penalty shoot-out, but there's no bonuses.

My tip:
Adelaide United FC vs Newcastle Jets FC
Newcastle 1:2

Jacob's tip:
Adelaide United FC vs Newcastle Jets FC
Newcastle 1:2

May the best team win, may there be a glorious, sporting crowd at Hindmarsh, brilliant and entertaining football and no serious injuries.

And meanwhile... Go the Socceroos!

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger john said...

because I have to make ground on Jacob.... Adelaide 1:0

Is Miron going to get Sydney?

He has been asked to help Terry during the Asaia cup. But has there been a player coup and is he now hiding on the Gold Coast?

Was it always going to be a Qlder? Miron gets the show? I think they'll win the league next year.

February 07, 2007 9:43 pm  
Blogger drsimmo said...

And so ends the reign of Terry Butcher. In the end, it had to happen. If a manager loses his players' confidence, and especially the board's confidence, he has to go. As much as I have sympathy for him, Sydney FC has to move on. I'm not sure who would be the best replacement; Branko Culina seems to be the front-runner, but rumours about John Kosmina (please no!) won't go away. An outside chance is Gianfranco Zola, who has apparently expressed interest. While his profile would be great for the club, I think many question his experience. If there's one thing we have all learnt from the Butcher saga, it's that great players don't necessarily make great managers.

Anyway, to the game at hand...

Adelaide v Newcastle: Newcastle 1-2
I have to agree with Jacob here. Let's face it, I have no chance of winning this tipping comp :-) So I'm "playing for pride". I really do hope for a Melbourne v Newcastle Grand Final. It's a shame Jade North won't be in the Jets squad.

Oh and go the Australian U23s! 11-0 against Chinese Taipei, virtually guaranteeing a spot in the Beijing Olympics qualifiers.

February 07, 2007 9:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In some perverse way I want Newcastle to win and meet us at the Grand Final.

Not only their style of football would make it a better spectacle for the many uninitiated that may be attending the match or tuning in, but Adelaide is already in Asia. Having a regional centre like Newcastle being represented at the Asian Championships would be great for the code in Australia.

But I think Newcastle may be a more difficult opponent as well.

February 08, 2007 2:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No second chances now - it all comes down to this one game. And it's a toughie. My heart says to go with Newcastle, but my head wonders whether Adelaide are so fragile as to miss out on the GF two years in a row.

Adelaide were strangled by Melbourne's defence in the SF first leg and their own lack of ambition in the second. I don't think the Jets will play such a defensive game as the Victory did 2 weeks ago; which could open up spaces for the Adelaide attack.

The other thing is that the Jets on the road tend to be rather less than invincible - remember Perth put three past them a few weeks ago before they had their own meltdown.

So while I think it will be close, I'm going for Adelaide 2: Jets 1.

Best of luck everyone.

February 08, 2007 3:15 pm  
Blogger The Round Ball Analyst said...

hi hamish/jacob, only 10 or mins till ko, only time for a quick tip between commericals;

2-2 after et (that's my heart hoping for a cracker). Jets on pens.

February 11, 2007 4:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home