Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Final Day in Brisbane Town

Last night I went out to watch the last football game I'll see before the World Cup. The Ligers, a mixed futsal team I played for for a little while (pictured), who had made their semi-finals. The game was spirited as usual, but my friends were soundly defeated.

It seemed appropriate, since I am about to be absorbed in the most elite football competition there is, that I touch base with this grass roots, such a large part of my soccer passion, one last time. Thanks guys. You rock.

Driving and walking around Brisbane this last week has been a bit of an existential la la land. I love my city, and I'll even miss it. And I know I'll be back, but not as the same person. So the little things have been attracting my attention. Just shops and creatures and the blue of the sky - that sort of thing.

I've been planning this trip for almost two years. From the beginning it was proposterous and if anyone had asked, "Can you afford it?" I would reply, "I don't know but I will." But, you see, soccer sort of saved my life, and has quite tangibly filled a big spiritual space for me. Think of that what you will, but now I stand on the precipice of my journey with a type of awe, a feeling like I am about to take my dance to a new level. Forget it. It's not really explainable.

It's not just Brisbane I'm leaving for a month. Since beginning the planning for the trip I've fallen in love and gotten engaged. From the beginning of the relationship I had to explain that there was this big thing I was doing and that it wasn't necessarilly conducive to new romantic bonding. So here and now I want to thank Dawn for her love and understanding in this. I love ya baby an' I'll be back in more ways than one.

Needless to say I've been writing plenty of crap for the past few weeks, but from this point on I will be exposed to actual content, so expect the blogging to get a bit more diary like, with more pictures and more action. We'll see where it goes.

Thanks to my readers so far, and I hope I can provide an interesting and entertaining supplement to your World Cup reading. I'm pleased to say Football Down Under's readership is higher than it has ever been (about 30 of you a day), for obvious enough reasons I suppose, but there's also less comments than ever. Now if you don't feel like commenting, don't, of course. But don't hold back anyway. I'm friendly and attempt to maintain courtesy in reply even if I think you're a twat.

Anyway, before I am overwhelmed with fresh content, here's some silly things that are fun:

Timed alongside the FIFA World Cup is, in Singapore, the Robocup 2010. This is where geeks pit robots against one another in soccer. Their objective is to one day defeat a human team, but they've um... got a way to go.

And while we're on the futurism theme, doesn't Beckham look at home on Tatooine? (Thanks Josh for this one.)


With a prayer to the gods of travel and pilgrimage for safe passage there and back again of myself and my dear son Jacob, I'll see you in South Africa.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I get what you mean about Football filling a spiritual void. Not that that's necessarily the case with me, but maybe to a degree. Safe travels!

June 09, 2010 4:08 pm  
Anonymous wayne said...

Have fun kiddo, the nay sayers will probably still be bitchin when you get back!

Over, beyond and through!

June 11, 2010 1:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home