Monday, October 16, 2006

At least I might be able to afford Fox

Ok, I'm going to crap on a bit here. To my regular readership (actual regulars are apparently about ten) I must apologise because I began a new job today, and I really like it. Being unemployed was brilliant for being a full-time football tragic, and I should realistically declare from the outset that I just won't be able to post as regularly as I have been. But I'll have a blurt occasionally.

What a bloody weekend! Frankly it couldn't have gone better from my point of view. Firstly, Central Coast giving Sydney a flogging was not so much a deserved win for Gosford but a deserved defeat for Sydney. All Butcher seems capable of is racking up hubris. Hubris plays a big role in football, which is part of its spiritual attraction. You gotta stay humble, stay grounded, stay real, which is increasingly impossible the better you do, so fortune turns. But Butcher blows it whether his team are brilliant or not.

I was hoping Newcastle would beat the Knights too, not just because they are the underdogs but because I like their football. Unlike the Knights, I reckon the Jets have been unlucky not to get a win or two already. Personally, depending on whether their new coaching regime works out and maintains some continuity (as my view is that Theo-whatsisname was essentially on track), I reckon the fourth spot in the top four is between Perth and Newcastle (after Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide).

Then Adelaide put Melbourne in its place, on Victory's home turf. Nothing could be sweeter, and here I am just getting selfish for my side, because the distance between the Roar and Victory was just getting a bit too insurmountable. No longer. Adelaide, in this humble, uneducated purview, is only getting scarier. When the Roar play them in Adelaide in a few weeks I will be very nervous.

And I was scared of Perth as well. Well done boys for whipping their arses way over on the Indian Ocean. It was convincing, but no walk-over that's for sure. A lovely, lovely game to watch, until the last half hour, when the Roar got uncharacteristically defensive. Never mind. They came away with three beautiful points and closed the gap a bit to the first slot.

In Football Down Under's private tipping comp, where I am frankly guilty of flagrant wishfull thinking all round, I got a record five points. Saint Johnny is clearly smiling upon me this week.

Cheers to the greatest game in the World, and all who love it.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger john said...

don't be scared Hamish. These guys are stars. Just enjoy.. Dario, Ante, Reinaldo, Spase, Matty, Simon

Sunday arvo it is... can't wait

Is Zhang going to fire? With that Ronaldinho running straight leg thing he does?

October 16, 2006 10:15 pm  
Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

Cheers John. They are a brilliant bunch I agree, but not dependent on any one big star, which is why I think we can have a deep confidence in them.

I thought Zhang was still off for a game or two. Is he back from his matrimonials?

We'll miss Dario soon too, while he goes to help kick some arse in Asia. But there's a lot of talent to spare, and I'm just growing increasingly impressed with our Myron. Reckon he is a very clever man.

See you Sunday. I'll be wearing an orange shirt.

October 17, 2006 6:39 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job! I wish you all the best.
When you get a moment post something we are a bit spoilt now.

I always felt that at one point Victory was going to lose and at home and when that didnt happen against the Roar I was a bit relieved but against Adelaide it happened.

I hope its not the start of a losing streak because I suppose Sydney are going to give us a tough match in their own backyard and I will be happy with a draw at this point.

October 17, 2006 7:10 am  
Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

Thanks Wes.

For what it's worth, I don't think Sydney is going to present the Victory with too much of a problem. But just wait 'till you get to Suncorp Stadium. There is that small matter of revenge!

Cheers.

October 17, 2006 7:18 am  
Blogger Mike Salter said...

Congrats on the new gig, Hamish.

I'm currently managing to combine full-time work with blogging, but I'll happily admit that it may eventually become too much...

October 17, 2006 2:19 pm  
Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

You were right John. I thought Zhang was still away for a bit, but he's back. I hope he gets some game on Sunday.

We will miss Murdocca. Roar's midfield has been purring.

October 18, 2006 6:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess that the beauty (or disadvantage) of having only 8 teams in the comp is that it is difficult for a team to be streets ahead despite winning streaks.

If Melbourne Victory loses against Sydney FC and Queensland Roar wins against Newcastle Jets, Melbourne lead will be reduced to just 3 points and we will be back into the mix.

October 18, 2006 11:55 am  
Blogger john said...

No you were right Hamish

Looks like Miron is going to rest Zhang this week, then on the bench for CC when Dario goes to the youth world cup qualifier and start him against NZ.

Miron says he is going for 9 from 3 games.

by the way my fox will cost $70 per month once the intro for Fox Sports is over. As I am paying the extra $15 per month for IQ - this allows me to record and pause live, rewind live etc. If you are going to get this - get it up front or you will have to pay for a second installation to upgrade.

October 19, 2006 9:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home