Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Version 3 Tipping Competition

Well as promised, even as I announced my retirement from the blog, I'm gonna run the second version of the Down Under Football Tipping Competition. And it starts now.

My son Jacob won last season, but it was a close comp. Most of the six competitors were bloggers and I'm hoping that once again it includes most of the community of A-League bloggers. So John, Tony, Dave and Drsimmo, I hope you're all in again, and whilst all are welcome, James (Confessions of an A-League Junkie), Cecilia (Girl's Guide to the A-League), Wayne (The Fisherman's Friend), Mike (The Football Tragic), Neil (Victory in Melbourne), Eamonn (Football in the Capital), Wes (Owatalk Football), Jesse (What in the Roar?) and Dane (Dane's Opinion), you should consider yourselves personally invited.

Each week, at any time before kickoff of the first game, you can either email me if I haven't already blogged (contact Hamish), or leave a comment on the blog I put up. I'll include the tips of Jacob, myself and anyone who's emailed in the post each week.

You tip both the result and the score. You get a point for a correct result (a draw or naming the winner) or 3 points if you get the score right. So every normal round has 12 points up for grabs. Latecomers (not too late) will start on the lowest score thus far.

The PRIZE, at the end of the season, is a bottle of Irish Malt Whiskey or, if as in the case of Jacob you are under aged or otherwise not suited to such pleasures, an A-League Ball.

So to start, here's Jacob's and my tips:

Jacob:
Sydney vs Central Coast
Sydney 2:1

Queensland vs Adelaide
Queensland 2:1

Perth vs Newcastle
Newcastle 0:1

Wellington vs Melbourne
Wellington 5:0

My tips:
Sydney vs Central Coast
Draw 2:2

Queensland vs Adelaide
Draw 1:1

Perth vs Newcastle
Newcastle 1:2

Wellington vs Melbourne
Melbourne 0:2

STOP PRESS: John has just submitted his tips by email.

John:
Sydney vs Central Coast
Sydney 2:1

Queensland vs Adelaide
Queensland Roar 3:1

Perth vs Newcastle
Draw 1:1

Wellington vs Melbourne
Melbourne 0:2

---

Best of luck everyone.

To the Ineffable, may the A-League games this weekend be entertaining, well adjudicated, fair and free of serious injuries.

Oh... and go the bloody Roar!!!!!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Cecilia said...

Jacob!!! 5-0... come one, we're not that bad!

I suffer from loyalty when tipping. Here goes!

Sydney vs Central Coast
Sydney 0:2

Queensland vs Adelaide
Queensland 3:1

Perth vs Newcastle
Newcastle 1:2

Wellington vs Melbourne
Wellington 1:2

August 21, 2007 9:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Hamish for the invite, I am also participating in the tipping competition on TipsChallenge.com and since it follows the same rules as your comp, I will enter my tips as they are on TipsChallenge at the minute.

Here goes:

Sydney 2 CCM 1

Roar 2 Adelaide 2

Wellington 1 Victory 2

Perth 2 Jets 1

Thanks.

August 21, 2007 10:11 pm  
Blogger Jeccy56 said...

Thanks for the official invite. I feel honoured. I will probably only get a grand total of about five points all season. You have been warned.

That said, here I go:

Sydney d CCM 2:1
Roar d Adelaide 3:1
Victory d Pheonix 4:2
Perth d Jets 1:0

August 23, 2007 3:17 pm  
Blogger Dane said...

Thanks for the invite mate, I'm in for sure!

Sydney 1 Coast 3
Qld 2 Adelaide 2
Melbourne 3 Wellington 0
Perth 2 Newcastle 1

August 23, 2007 3:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hamish

Thanks for the invite. I was just thinking the other day whether you'd be back 'on board' this year. Good to see you and Jacob are indeed up for another season.

Now the serious stuff:

Sydney 1 CCM 2
Sydney will take time to gel and the Coast boys are looking pretty sharp.

Qld Roar 2 Adelaide 1
Farina will have learned a lot about AU from the pre-season; plus the Roar have a habit of winning game 1.

Wellington 1 Melbourne 0
New team, home ground, reigning premiers - could anything be set up better for an upset?

Perth 2 Newcastle 1
Expect a bore-fest in the West, but Perth to scrape home thanks to some individual brilliance.

Cheers

August 23, 2007 4:39 pm  
Blogger Eamonn said...

Hamish dunno if I sent em via email but here's the real deal

Thanks for th invite and coz I'm into blog oneupmanship...I'm offering a prize for my tipping comp on my blog....

of course this is the real comp, so I've jsut offered the pick your final four and grand final winner..a one-off

and the prize

you get to talk for three minutes on my community radio show on any football topic of your choice!!

here's me tips

Sydney 1 Mariners 2
Wellington 0 Victory 2
Roar 2 Adelaide 1
Perth o Newcastle 1

August 23, 2007 9:44 pm  
Blogger Eamonn said...

hey jsut saw your prize as well...I reckon yours is better..god it's been a long day!!

good night and go the friggin Roar, The A-League, Jacob, the crowds, the noise goals, send-offs the whole kit and caboodle.

Thank god the football is back

August 23, 2007 9:47 pm  
Blogger Neil said...

Hamish,
Thanks for the invite. Here are my tips for the first round.

Sydney FC 1 Central Coast 2
Qld Roar 0 Adelaide 1
Wellington 0 Melbourne 2
Perth Glory 1 Newcastle 1

I'm sorry, Jacob but Wellington ain't gonna put five past Melbourne.

Neil

August 24, 2007 10:12 am  
Blogger The Round Ball Analyst said...

hamish, buzzing today, off to the game tonight, can't wait, should be a cracker, the a-league is back, loving life, almost forgot my tips, here goes;

SFC 2 CCM 2
QR 1 AU 1
PG 2 NJ 1
WP 1 MV 1

Sorry for being so dull and boring in week 1 (3 draws), but everyone seem to agree it's looking like an almighty close season, so here's to some close, but exciting, round 1 action.

Btw, i do notice the roar are at home to adelaide this week...if you remember the corresponding game last season (round 5 i think it was), the roar played adelaide off the park but were denied time and time again by the outstanidng robbie bajic...i remember you saying you were at the game, so i'm sure you'll be hoping for a similar performance 2morrow, just a slighty different result....enjoy if you go.

August 24, 2007 2:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi hamish, only just saw the new post tonight (sat), so I must wait till next week to get tipping - otherwise it would be cheating, no?

August 25, 2007 8:24 pm  
Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

Wayne, feel free to tip the last two games in this round before kickoff tomorrow afternoon. Otherwise you can start the comp next week on the lowest number of points scored, but you'd be better off trying to get some points now.

Thanks everyone for entering. At this stage, the ongoing results are here.

August 25, 2007 10:07 pm  
Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

Well this comp really has turned out to be the Battle of the Bloggers. I've no doubt there's any number of A-League bloggers now that I don't know about and if any of them are lurking, please make yourself known. It would be great though if Mike (The Football Tragic) and James (Confessions of an A-League Junkie) would stoop to the challenge. Come on guys! It's the Blogger's Cup.

August 25, 2007 11:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home