Friday, September 28, 2007

Chicks Rule

Just a quick post before I go to work.

If you missed the WWC game between Brazil and USA last night, well... I'm truly sorry for you. Brazil's effort was possibly the pinnacle to date of a woman's soccer team.

Fozzie's stunned, almost hypnotised reaction, said it all. After the first half he said it was the best women's soccer he'd ever seen. After the game he said it was the best football game (of any type) he'd seen for a long time. It was certainly the best I've seen for a long time, and I will remember it, and especially the fourth goal of Marta's, for a long, long time. If you love watching Ronaldinho at his most magical, then don't miss Marta. She is a genius, and gives us I think a glimpse of what women's football can actually get to.

DON'T MISS the grand final on Sunday night between Germany and Brazil. It might just be the best quality, most entertaining, attacking football, you'll see for a long time. If the quality keeps improving, and the girls continue an apparent trend of playing to score goals without much cynical play, then frankly I prefer women's football to men's, by a pretty chunky margin. You might not agree with me, but I predict that many more people will agree with me than before last night.

Meanwhile Sepp Blatter has announced that the required 10% of funding to women's soccer from national federations is to be increased to 20%. Let's just say we have by no means seen the full extent of what is possible in women's soccer.

As for the Roar's difficulty with strikers, well I reckon we should import one more Brazilian. Marta would clean up any A-League defence, and I would just LOVE to be proved wrong.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Round Ball Analyst said...

Hamish, quality piece after a quality display from Brazil. Loved it.

September 28, 2007 11:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I missed it Hamish .but after you and Tony talking about it, and seeing video of Marta in action before, I feel a torrent coming on...;-)

September 28, 2007 9:49 pm  
Blogger Cecilia said...

I think the women's game has dramatically improved over the past few years. Players are fitter so they can actually contest the match for 90 minutes, and as more girls start to play more tricky players will come through the national teams. I'll happily admit that there was a time that I couldn't sit down and watch a women's game. I'm delighted to see that those days look to be over.

Going for Brazil, as that's who I have in the Melbourne Victory forum sweep. But I'd like Germany to win, if only because they have a female coach/manager! Hee hee.

Should be great to see how the Brazilians will get around Germany. Germany are rock solid, but Brazil's creativity and non-conformity might throw them off. That being said, Brazil don't have a defence that is as impenetrable and may be worn down by the mentally tough Germans! Looking forward to it!

September 29, 2007 2:12 pm  
Blogger Eamonn said...

bring it on!

and where was your state fed CEO..networking at the World Cup in China, attempting to grow their participants game

or saving up for South Africa to watch the Socceroos!

September 29, 2007 6:27 pm  
Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

Hey this is cool news to add to the excitement. Australian referee Tammy Ogston is going to officiate the final.

September 29, 2007 6:42 pm  
Blogger The Round Ball Analyst said...

let's hope tammy does a better job that ben williams on frid night

September 30, 2007 10:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home