Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Tipping the Opening of the Second Round Robin

Well the first Round Robin of the Blogger's Cup is over. The Roar fans as a block are still doing terribly, including Cecilia, who is of course a secret fan. Mike needs to be tested for performance enhancing drugs. But we all have to maintain mental strength, and it's good to see you back into the fray John, after perhaps a moment of doubt in yourself (and the Roar) last week. Jacob, the defending champion, is still in the middle of the pack, and things can turn around very quickly.

Upon a gender analysis, it's clear that women's football tipping still has a long way to go before it is truly competitive. (I just know I'll regret saying that.)

Here are my tips for Round 8:

Adelaide vs Melbourne:
United 2:0

Perth vs Sydney:
Draw 1:1

Newcastle vs Wellington:
Jets 2:1

Central Coast vs Queensland:
The F'ing Roar 1:3

Last week was a brilliant week by the way. Life seems so simple sometimes. The Red-Eye Pirates, my futsal team, won their game on Tuesday night, 3:2. The Roar won their game, 2:1. Then Jacob's team The West End Terrors (the name has been watered down due to parental pressure) won their first indoor soccer game 3:2 on Saturday (deservedly coming back from 2:1 down at half time, after leading 1:0 at the first - bloody exciting game). The news of the loss for the Young Matildas, sad though it was, did not manage to dampen my week too much.

Tonight was the third futsal game for the Red-Eye Pirates. I am the goalie full time and I love it. I looked forward to tonight all week and I'm already looking forward to next Tuesday night. I think we have a strong team, but more importantly it's a very cool team. It's fun, we all drink and smoke afterwards, we seem to really like each other, and it's well organised by Harmonie and Dorian, our managers who sub each other while the other looks after their baby.

The mixed team thing is odd, where if a bloke scores, a chick has to be the next scorer (not the other way round). It's obviously a positive-discrimination device, which is fine, but I'm not sure if it works. As goalie I know that after a bloke scores I simply don't have to worry about the blokes - I can ignore the fact that a bloke has the ball and is right in front of goal and directly mark the girl looking for the cross. Imogen, our best defender (at least I feel most secure when it is her in front of me), said the same independently of my observation - "when it's the girl's turn just shut down the girls." So the prophesy is fulfilled - the girls find it harder to score. I'm new to the game but I'm just holding a question over this rule.

Anyway, for the records, we're still playing pre-season friendlies, but our first game "we" lost (can't remember the score), though I was being lent to the other team, the second game was last weeks' which we won, and this week we lost 6:0. Why I'm not really upset about this is because I played well and made a lot of saves and the main people hammering us were loans from our team, Lara and Craig. Critically I have to say that we were pretty boring up front this week, almost all of the shots being fairly long hopefuls and very little crossing across the box, which is crucial in futsal. Needless to say, Craig and Lara were crossing to each other beautifully.

Having a drink with a few of the team after the game, I realised that all the people present were over 25 (most over 35) and had only gotten into the game in the last few years (about 6 at most). I asked everyone how they got into it and heard their various stories. All apart from me came into it through friends, playing the game. I was the only one who followed the Roar. It's not that they weren't enthused by the idea, and I'm going to invite the whole team to the next home game sure that some will come, but it's food for thought for anyone interested in the growth of the A-League. They watched the Women's World Cup. Soccer in its various forms is growing exponentially in the community. The futsal center we play at is just starting its second season, and it is chocked with teams. But... well... the A-League ain't on TV.

May the tens of thousands of soccer games around the world this week be a hell of a lot of fun for all concerned, and be free of serious injury.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on good form with your futsal team! Peter and I play indoor soccer and narrowly missed the finals...

Anyway, my tips:

Adelaide 0
Melbourne 2

Perth 0
Sydney 1

Newcastle 1
Wellington 1

Central Coast 1
Queensland 2

October 10, 2007 10:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which futsal centre do you play at Hamish?

October 10, 2007 3:01 pm  
Blogger Mike Salter said...

Good stuff Hamish. I've been missing the indoor soccer subbing since my last couple of outings...but my Eyetie mates refuse to miss a game these days.

As for the performance enhancing drugs...don't expect me to do a Marion Jones-style teary speech on the courthouse steps. ;-)

Just about all the A-League teams seem to be missing half their squads this week. God only knows who'll adapt best.

AU 0-1 MV
PG 1-1 SFC
NUJ 2-2 WP
CCM 2-1 QR

October 10, 2007 3:08 pm  
Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

Dch, the center is at West End Primary School. We register with Viking Futsal.

October 10, 2007 6:34 pm  
Blogger Jeccy56 said...

“Upon a gender analysis, it's clear that women's football tipping still has a long way to go before it is truly competitive. (I just know I'll regret saying that.)”

I’m going to let that one go, basically because it is undeniably true!! ^^

So go on Hamish, what’s my prize going to be for the wooden spoon award?

Onto my tips for this week, which I actually did before, but the internet threw a tissy fit so I have probably changed. . . . .

Adelaide 1 Melbourne 2
Sydney 3 Perth 1
Jets 2 Phoenix 2
CCM 2 Roar 3 (wishful thinking)

October 10, 2007 7:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found it strange playing in the over`35's this winter that most guys didnt watch the Mariners, remotely followed football, and knew most about the Rugby League...even when they had played with the club for 20 years! Didn't stop them telling me how and where to play for most of the season..Tell Jacob I reckon the West End Terrors sounds`pretty cool, and as for Mikey's P-E-D's, its serotonin - he plays with his head..

October 10, 2007 7:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, I forgot my tips!

Adelaide 1 Melbourne 0
Sydney 2 Perth 1
Jets 1 Phoenix 2
CCM 3 Roar 2 (revenge?)

October 10, 2007 7:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't do well last week, hope to do better this time around,

Here goes:

Adelaide 1 Victory 2
Glory 1 Sydney 2
Jets 1 Phoenix 1
CCM 2 Roar 0

Cheers,

October 11, 2007 8:57 am  
Blogger Cecilia said...

Perhaps your sample size is too small Hamish!

I always knew that I'd suck at this, but I'll continue to persevere!

Adelaide 0 Victory 2
Glory 0 Sydney 2
Jets 2 Phoenix 2
CCM 1 Roar 0

October 11, 2007 6:33 pm  
Blogger Cecilia said...

Actually, can I change my mind about CCM-Roar? Can I go 3-0 Roar? Hee hee!

October 11, 2007 6:38 pm  
Blogger Neil said...

What a small world it is. When I was up in Brisbane earlier this year I filled in for my friend's mixed team at West End Primary School on a Tuesday night! You probably play against him. I like the rule that the goals have to alternate between the guys and girls. It means you have to have some decent female players and not have them there just for the numbers. After all that, here are my tips for this round:

Adelaide 0 Melbourne 1
Perth 0 Sydney 0
Newcastle 1 Wellington 1
Central Coast 2 Queensland 1

October 12, 2007 8:36 am  
Blogger Mike Salter said...

Crazy capers out in Kiwi country...Phoenix's coach and plenty of their players go off to play an international, and then FIFA cans it!

Expect some interesting stories in the next few days if the 'Nux lose in Newcastle.

October 12, 2007 12:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like my late-ish run is starting to come good - but international duties look like playing havoc this weekend.

Adelaide 0 Melbourne 1
It's starting to look like a case of "1-0 to the Victory" as they graft out wins. Last week, Adelaide couldn't score against Perth with Burns and Djite on the field - what hope do they have this time around. With Archie and Allsop, the Vics should have too much firepower.

Perth 0 Sydney 0
This one is shaping as a sure-fire cure for insomnia. For all their chest beating about Corica being sent off, Sydney never really looked like troubling Melbourne last week. And Perth, well, what can you say... With Juninho looking a non-starter, this could be one of the most dire matches ever in the A-League.

Newcastle 1 Wellington 0
Two sides that will be hit hard by rep duties. I think Wellington will be down on confidence after last week (the return of Daniel notwithstanding), and are away from home again. Newcastle should be able to find a winner in front of their home crowd.

CCM 1 Roar 2
OK, maybe some wishful thinking here, but Zullo and Kruse down the flanks should be capable of stretching a Mariners defence that's looked a bit static in the last couple of weeks. Petrovski and Kwasnik remain dangers up front, so no clean sheet again; but a second win on the trot looks eminently acheiveable for the Roar.

October 12, 2007 1:25 pm  
Blogger The Round Ball Analyst said...

hamish, good stuff re the futsal...all the best with it!

Here's the news on Aloisi, a lucky boy;

"A Football Federation Australia (FFA) Disciplinary Hearing today found Wellington Phoenix player Ross Aloisi guilty on a charge of serious foul play.

As a result Aloisi received a one match suspension, which has been suspended and will be activated should Aloisi receive a caution or red card in the next match that he participates in.

The incident involving Aloisi occurred in the 2nd minute of the Hyundai A-League 2007/08 round 7 fixture between Wellington Phoenix and Queensland Roar at Suncorp Stadium on Friday 5 October 2007.

Ross Aloisi will be eligible for selection for Wellington Phoenix's round 8 fixture against at Newcastle Jets on Sunday 14 October 2007."

it's another tough week, here are my tips;

AU 0 v MV 1
PG 1 v SFC 1
NJ 1 v WP 1
CCM 1 v QR 2

October 12, 2007 4:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AU 1-2 MV
PG 0-3 SFC
NUJ 2-2 WP
CCM 2-2 QR

Nearly forgot ;)

DANE

October 12, 2007 6:03 pm  
Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

Received by other means...

Eamonn's Tips:

Perth 2 Sydney 1
Jets 2 Phoenix 1
Adelaide 0 Victory 2
Mariners 1 Roar 2

Once you score once you score more
so come on, you beautiful roar
an away win for you
not pretty but it'll do...

Jacob's tips

Adelaide vs Melbourne:
United 2:1

Perth vs Sydney:
Sydney 0:1

Newcastle vs Wellington:
Jets 3:0

Central Coast vs Queensland:
Roar 0:4

October 12, 2007 6:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home