Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A-League Predictions, Round 13

I'm not going to make a prediction for the game between Australia and Ghana in the morning. For that game, I will just look to the infinite and ask that every one of the players on the field play their best, that the best team win, and that there are no serious injuries. Go the Socceroos. This ain't gonna be easy.

Meanwhile, though I'm making these predictions earlier in the week than usual, to make it a bit fairer on the other players, I'm not going to add any comment, as I've got to get up at half past bloody five to watch.

Scores so far:
Hamish: 17
Jacob: 16
Drsimmo: 15
John: 11 (I gave you a point, in case you want to keep playing - didn't get much time last week)
Tony: 10

My call:
Queensland vs Melbourne
Queensland 3:2

Perth vs Newcastle
Newcastle 0:2

New Zealand vs Central Coast
Draw 1:1

Sydney vs Adelaide
Draw 2:2

Jacob's call:
Queensland vs Melbourne
Melbourne 1:3

Perth vs Newcastle
Newcastle 1:2

New Zealand vs Central Coast
Central Coast 0:1

Sydney vs Adelaide
Adelaide 1:2

When I watch the greats playing - especially the South Americans - I almost envy them their Catholicism as they make their little prayers and cross themselves before taking kicks and the like. The connection with the sacred, however it is concieved or expressed, most certainly does no harm, and I suspect it does good, though probably for relatively mundane reasons to do with the way our brains have evolved. We do, whether we like it or not, have to live every day alongside an incomprehensible and infinite reality after all. So it is that ineffable Everything to which I once again gaze and humbly ask for good sportsmanship, good entertainment and no serious injuries this weekend.

Cheers, and good night.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Hamish, It's me Keiichi. When will Jacob and his team mates play for the 6 a side next time? Is it ok if I go there and watch the game?

Australia draw the game, I had to work so I couldn't watch it......

November 15, 2006 11:28 am  
Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

G'day Keiichi. The game was brilliant, and very satisfying, despite the draw. A properly deserved result in my view.

Of course you can come. The kids would love to see you. I'll check the time and text you when it is, but I'll be able to drive you there and back if you like.

For the lurkers, Keiichi was the coach of Jacob's El Salvador Under 11s team. Most of the kids in the West End Terrorists Indoor Soccer team are from that team.

November 15, 2006 11:52 am  
Blogger drsimmo said...

G'day Hamish.

After moderate success last week - two correct results are better than none - here we go for this weekend's games:

Queensland v Melbourne: Melbourne 1-2
As much as I'd love Queensland to put one over Melbourne I can't see it happening this week. Losing a manager is always a bit unsettling, although being coached by Mad Miron is possibly more unsettling.

Perth v Newcastle: Newcastle 1-2
Newcastle's run of good form seems to show no sign of ending and Perth haven't been very cohesive recently. The scoreline will flatter Perth.

NZ v Central Coast: Central Coast 0:2
It seems to be pretty hard to score goals at North Harbour, but Damien Mori is probably up to the challenge. NZ have been disrupted by having their coach sacked, which is very unfair, since it's their admin/board and players who are really to blame in this case.

Sydney v Adelaide: Sydney 2-0
Nathan Burns is out for Adelaide and last time round against Sydney he was their main spark. Sydney have close to a full strength squad this week, and I reckon David Zdrilic may make it four goals in four games on Sunday.

November 15, 2006 2:00 pm  
Blogger john said...

My call:
Queensland vs Melbourne
Queensland 2:0

Perth vs Newcastle
Perth 1:0

New Zealand vs Central Coast
Central Coast 0:2

Sydney vs Adelaide
Sydney 1:0

How central coast and Newcastle go in the next 2 weeks is critical to the Roar.

November 15, 2006 7:44 pm  
Blogger The Round Ball Analyst said...

Hey Hamish, good to see the west end terrorists doing well....long live futsal as a vehicle for helping develop footballers.

My tip is that the terrorists will win next week.

Don't I get any point for my tips last week?

Be back tomorrow for my rd 13 tips once I'm awake. Beyond thinking at the moment.

November 16, 2006 10:25 pm  
Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

Whoops. I'm not much of a score-keeper apparently. Sorry Tony. You do get your point for predicting Sydney's win over the Knights. I've added it above.

November 17, 2006 6:05 am  
Blogger The Round Ball Analyst said...

Tough week with 2 new coaches. Here goes;

Roar 2 v Melb 2
Perth 2 v New 1
NZ 1 v Mariners 1
Syd 2 v Ade 1

November 17, 2006 5:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home