Thursday, December 07, 2006

Season Two Ends for the Roar

Well that game against Newcastle was the decisive do or die for the Roar, and the Roar died. My loyalty is tried, but will prove absolute I know. I will continue to watch every Roar game and cheer the boys. I even trust that they'll win a couple more before the end of the season. But they just haven't got the stuff to be in the top four this season. Tonight they crossed that psychic rubicon from 'we can do it; we have what it takes' to 'there's always next year'. It was in the air. It was in their faces and in the voices of the crowd. Truly the Roar may have dropped the ball weeks or months ago, but tonight the very ball of hope was dropped. Sad but true.

Excuses? Yeah, plenty. I would have loved to see them with even a well Matty. When I made my prediction I thought they'd have the beautiful Matty/Spase combination I saw last week. Despite the fact that he's made a few mistakes, we bloody missed Sasa Ognenovski in defence as well. As an aside here, as I don't want to make a primary point of it, is it good coaching for Farina to train the boys so hard that they lose two of their key guns in training? ("...All part and parcel of having intense training sessions.") Moot that. I dunno.

But hey, let's get really wild. We all know how the Roar kicked arse in the early season. Let's wonder for just one second how Newcastle would have buckled under a Roar with Massimo as well as Matty, Spase and Sasa. It's just dreaming of course, because it wasn't. Our engine room is gutted. Meanwhile Zhang and Reinaldo, our promised magic strikers, are apparently permanently off the squad. It's not easy to say how much our gutted midfield is to blame for the lameness of Mori and Lynch either, though tonight I'd have to say there was a few balls that Lynch in particular really could have had more of a go at. Mori just doesn't connect with this team it seems, and no wonder because he doesn't even train with them. Does he know them all by name? All just speculations now. All just those post-mortem 'what ifs'.

I got a yellow card tonight. My first, and hopefully last as a spectator. When Mat was substituted in the twentieth minute I was just shocked. The Roar were already playing terribly, and I would have been the first to say that Matty was being a bit slow, but he was hardly the only one and to me, after Spase not being available at the last minute, it seemed truly mad. I was ballistic. I screamed out, "What are you doing Frank?" Then I screamed, "You are a fucking madman, " or something to that effect. This would have been fine if I was with the Rejects or something, but I was very close to the front and Farina turned around, looked me straight in the eye and said, "He's sick." Various people from rows behind threw a bit of abuse upon me and I had to eat some humble pie. It all made sense. Matty was actually ill. Embarassment, and no less frustration. This was the end of the season.

A few minutes later a security man put his hand on my shoulder. He said someone had complained I'd used the 'F word' and that there were families about. I said I wouldn't do it again. John said I was lucky to not get a red. Whoops.

Not a good night for Football Down Under. Not a good night for the Roar. Poor Jacob was embarassed too with his frustrated father, foot firmly stuck half way down his throat.

We waited around at the end of the game so I could just feel the vibe and watch the Roar players - those still on the field and those like Zhang, Spase and Sasa in suits - and their grades of despondency. The vibe affirmed for me that tonight we did not just lose another game. Tonight we lost the season.

But there IS always next year.

PS, and it is firmly a PS, my hat is off to Dario, who brought renewed energy onto the field after Matty came off, and almost made us look good for a bit, and to Packer, who showed some great skill attempting to step into the gaping breach. Grossman also showed some real flair a few times.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

tu treble carcasse?...
What ever you do Hamish, just keep posting, OK?

December 07, 2006 11:42 pm  
Blogger john said...

Ante lifted too but he came on too late.

Oh and you missed Wedau in his suit. He was going to hold the midfield and score Gerrard like goals from long range.

Could have been a red. You were lucky.

December 07, 2006 11:59 pm  
Blogger john said...

Hamish a bit of excitement... on

http://happinessforsale.org/ff/?p=18#comment-23

manhandled by the Counter terrorist Squad in attendance at the game.

tell Hamish he isn't the only one!

December 08, 2006 12:03 am  
Blogger Jeccy56 said...

I was in class over here when I heard the score. And I swore. Either the teacher didn't hear me, chose to ignore me, or didn't understand a word I said. Disappointing in all. Shows how crap we are without Matty, Sasa, Spase and Massimo. Get better soon guys, we need you!!
And I want to see them win the final game of the season, cause that will be my first game back in Oz!!

December 08, 2006 12:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.sackfrank.com.au


any takers?

He's been profoundly disappointing for mine since taking over from Miron. Seo continues to languish at RB. Gibson is hopeless and cannot cut it in the right of midfield. Buess is pretty much a shoe-in for left-back. All this is pretty much elementary as well..

December 08, 2006 2:31 am  
Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

Wayne, I'll keep posting, but things may develop a bit of a "Stand By Your Man" theme. This is all new for me, which is probably part of the character of this blog. Following a team at all was new to me. Following a good, winning team was new to me. Now following and supporting a team no matter what is new to me. But being a Queenslander is not new to me. I'm still here.

John, I agree about Ante. He also showed some flair, but all too late. Just added to the tragic drama really.

As to the police brutality stuff being discussed over on The Fisherman's Friend, it certainly does make me feel lucky. It's nothing I haven't witnessed in political activism where the police attack then the public hears the reports of 'violent protestors'. And it's always the special cops - the 'Anti-Terrorist Cops' in this case - who are the worst. Your average cop isn't comfortable with this sort of 'work', and would prefer to just keep the peace. Police brutality is a real danger to our game and it worries the crap out of me.

As I said over at Fisherman's Friend, the way I was handled by the security bloke - who certainly didn't strike me as a wimp - was firm, fair and effective. I have nothing to have a grudge about.

Jeccy, for the game against Sydney, yourself, John and I (and any other Roar followers from blogland) ought to touch base. If we have the full crew on the field, there's still no doubt we can put one up the Sydney-siders.

Djecker, I have growing doubts about Frank Farina myself, and I miss frank Miron. What makes me really pause though, is that the reason Miron left was that he feared us - the Roar fans. He could not rely on us to trust him through the tough times.

Even now, I think we have no option but to trust Frank, and see if he can learn some lessons. At the same time this means trusting the club to know when to sack the coach, and they have the ultimate vested interest in winning after all. It's just a view and maybe I'm wrong, but I think that we have to support the coach like the rest of the team, for the good of the team's chances. Is that far too wet? If so, apologies in advance.

Have a good day everyone.

December 08, 2006 6:29 am  
Blogger john said...

Yep looking forward t the Sydney game... we need 'bouncebackability'

December 08, 2006 7:12 pm  
Blogger Mike Salter said...

Hi Hamish, I've just watched the rest of the game on tape (after watching tonight's Tard v. Bling war of attrition). Woeful, and to be honest some of it has to come down to Frank. McLaren and Gibson in midfield, when Seo's still at RB?!? Just unbelievable.

I wish you guys all the best because with the players you've got you deserve to be in the top four, but Frank is just being too casual about things at the moment, IMO. But with Og, Mass, Spass and now McKay out, it's tough.

I might be coming up for the Roar v. SFC game on the 20th, by the way, would love to catch up.

December 08, 2006 9:51 pm  
Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

Mike, you have a place to stay in Brisbane if you wish.

Let's aim for some sort of get together between the four bloggers who may be there - yourself, Jeccy, John and myself. What do ya reckon? Any other takers?

December 08, 2006 10:28 pm  
Blogger Jeccy56 said...

Depends on how they play. If they perform crappily (if that's even a word) again, I'll be so irritated with them I will probably leave before the final whistle. Do you have season tickets, or just get what you can when you can??

December 09, 2006 2:19 am  
Blogger Jeccy56 said...

djecker - just found out we're stuck with Farina until 2009.

December 09, 2006 2:39 am  
Blogger john said...

Hey Jeccy - ask Miron if that is how it works

December 09, 2006 10:41 am  
Blogger Jeccy56 said...

How what works?? I'm confused.

December 09, 2006 8:24 pm  
Blogger Mike Salter said...

Mike, you have a place to stay in Brisbane if you wish.

Many thanks Hamish! Will keep in touch. The converse applies if you're ever down in Sydney for a game, by the way.

December 09, 2006 8:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

" djecker - just found out we're stuck with Farina until 2009."

Sucks to be you guys. Maybe given some time to reshape the squad and with a full pre-season, he'll turn things around but it doesn't look very promising. He should be able to replicate his NSL success, but he just hasn't even done the basics right yet. Chin up though, Roar boys- take heart from our (Victory's) turnaround and hope for the best.

December 09, 2006 10:35 pm  
Blogger drsimmo said...

Keep your chin up Hamish! If you can keep supporting your team even in their darkest hour, then you'll be a rusted-on fan. Somehow I've managed to keep supporting Sydney this season, despite their at-times poor (some might say woeful) performances. It's the good games - and the promise of them - that keep me coming back.

I'm sure the Roar can turn things around, even if it's to be the team that causes others problems in the lead up to the finals... five rounds to go after all! Just don't go doing this against Sydney in a few weeks ;-)

Oh, and I think that people can be a bit precious about language at the football. Having grown up going to rugby league games in the western suburbs of Sydney, I can assure you that I have not been greatly affected by the vast amount of, er, colourful language heard from age 6. At least I don't think I have :-)

Football - indeed all sport - is about passion!

December 11, 2006 8:16 am  
Blogger drsimmo said...

BTW, I managed to miss all the games this weekend since I was too busy moving house. At least now Foxtel is a possibility!

December 11, 2006 8:17 am  
Blogger The Round Ball Analyst said...

Hamish, you're a hooligan...

Jacob, you can't take him anywhere!!!

December 11, 2006 10:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home