Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Tipping Away Round Nine

This is a post for tipping on. I'll add my own in a comment soon.

I love Futsal. Last night Our team The Red Eye Pirates (Arrrrrghhh!) won 4:1 thanks to goals from Craig (2), Imogen and Abel.

It was a bit physical, and maybe I started it because I fouled someone early on to save a goal. They didn't capitalise on the free kick thankfully, but the same girl who I fouled (running out of the goal area I just sort of charged her down I think, but I can't even remember the exact details; I was just getting the ball) was the one who scored in the second half. I was caught out of position and she struck very well, so I couldn't even mind losing the clean sheet, but just had to turn around and say, "Nice shot. Well done." We were already 3 up I guess so such sportsmanship was easy.

Then the same girl again, competing with me for the ball, went to pull the trigger on a ball she must have thought was still loose and ended up booting me square in the jaw. I was down for about a minute, and although I can't remember this Imogen reckons I asked, "Where Am I?" twice. But I got the ball, and I was fine after the minute of throbbing headache. Needless to say my jaw is very sore this morning, along with quite a lot of me actually, but I still have a tongue and all my teeth minus a couple of small chips.

We played much better this week in general and it would have been a very happy evening if not that 30 seconds from time Kitty and a big bloke from the other team went hard for a ball simultaneously and Kitty was left weeping on the pitch. It wasn't a foul, just one of those, 'irresistible force meets irresistible force' situations, and the weaker person's leg gives. It ended the game, and I just hope her leg isn't broken. Unfortunately I doubt Kitty will be playing for a while, but she's young and who knows yet? She was having a great game too.

I really love this game and I love being in goals. In truth, despite the convincing win, we can't use this game as any benchmark because it was this team's first game (I think) and they really weren't that good. I didn't get a touch for the first five minutes and we probably had four times as many strikes as they did. But we're getting the crossing into the goalmouth thing happening again, and Imogen and Abel in particular were appearing fast in front of me for defense. Improvement, but we can't be content with it. There will be much tougher teams.

The game was our last pre-season friendly, so next week is serious. Just hope Kitty's OK. I'll keep you posted.

May the games this week - all of them everywhere - be fun for all and free of serious injury.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

G'day Hamish, here's my tips for the weekend:

Newcastle 2
Queensland 2

Sydney 0
Adelaide 2

Melbourne 2
Perth 0

Wellington 2
Central Coast 0

October 17, 2007 8:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, my round 9 tips:

Jets 2 Roar 1

Sydney 1 Adelaide 1

Phoenix 2 CCM 1

Victory 2 Glory 1

October 18, 2007 11:07 am  
Blogger Mike Salter said...

Hi Hamish, mine for this round:

NUJ 2-0 QR
SFC 2-1 AU
WP 3-2 CCM
MV 1-0 PG

October 18, 2007 7:24 pm  
Blogger Eamonn said...

Jets 3 The Roar 2
Sydney 1 Adelaide 2
Phoenix with the Fatty on the wing 3 Mariners 1
Victory 3 Peth Glory 1

Hamish to pick up 3 points
Cecilia maybe 1
And Mike the late entrant about 10!!
Catch him if you can.

October 18, 2007 9:09 pm  
Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

I've been getting some tips by email, one even by phone, and Jacob's usually in person, but I put them all in comments because then it's transparent that:

a) They're received before kickoff, and,
b) Because I can't edit comments, that they're not altered.

Because of the second, I'm going to from now on put my own tips in comments as well. There's been no expressions of doubt, but I'm a Capricorn, and process seems important, especially given the high stakes of Malt Irish Whiskey.

John's Tips:

New v Roar
Roar 0:1

Syd v Adel
Sydney 1:0

Wellies v CCM
Draw 0:0

Melb v Perth
Perth 0:1

My tips
Newcastle vs Queensland
Roar 1:2

Sydney vs Adelaide
United 1:2

Melbourne vs Perth
Victory 1:0

Wellington vs Central Coast
Draw 2:2

Jacob's in bed so I'll get his in the morning.

October 18, 2007 10:27 pm  
Blogger The Round Ball Analyst said...

Hamish, you make many an old keeper proud of your ball and all work between the sticks, but taking out a female?? Little wonder she got you back, and it sounds like a beauty !!

you won the game, she won the battle....lets us know if there's a sequel.

here are my rd9 tips;

NJ 3 v QR 1
SFC 2 v AU 2
WP 1 v CCM 1
MV 1 v PG 0

October 19, 2007 10:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This round is giving me a headache - so many possibilities. here goes anyway.

Jets 1 Roar 2
This is probably the hardest game of the lot. The Jets did well against an under-strength Wellington outfit; but the Roar learned how to play poorly and still win at Central Coast. Danny Tiatto's suspension notwithstanding, I don't think the Qld boys will play that badly two weeks in a row. The key for the Roar will be stopping the Jets from scoring early, because if they do, the home crowd will surely lift them.

Sydney 0 Adelaide 2
Sydney started scoring against Perth last week, but that's not saying much as they were outplayed by the cellar-dwellers for most of the match. Adelaide looked very good against Melbourne, and if they carry only half of that momentum into this game, the should account for FC.

Vics 1 Perth 0
You have to feel for Perth after that gut-wrenching draw against Sydney. Melbourne however were blown away by the Reds - so it comes down to who can pick themselves up the best. I think with the home ground advantage, it will be the Victory - but an upset for the purple boys can't be dismissed with the coach's job seemingly on the line.

Wellington 2 CCM 0
The wheels are starting to fall off for the Coast boys who really need a win here. Over the ditch however is a tough place to get it, especially with all the Phoenix's big names back this week and desperate to halt their own slide. If they play to their potential, the NZers should win fairly comfortably.

October 19, 2007 11:59 am  
Blogger Neil said...

Here are my tips for this weekend's games. Let's hope everyone manages to get to breakfast on time this week.

Newcastle 1 Roar 1
Sydney 0 Adelaide 1
Victory 2 Perth (I've been tipping 2-0 for the Victory for a number of weeks now - its time for them to repay my faith)
Wellington 2 Central Coast 0

October 19, 2007 2:19 pm  
Blogger Jeccy56 said...

I'm sick and not thinking very well at the moment, and most annoyed because I have to go out tonight and won't get to watch the Roar play live.

Newcastle 1 Roar 2
Sydney 2 Adelaide 2
Victory 3 Perth 1
Wellington 1 Central Coast 3

October 19, 2007 4:11 pm  
Blogger Cecilia said...

Newcastle 2, QRoar 3
Sydney 0, Adelaide 3
Victory 1, Perth 0
Wellington 2, Central Coast 2

October 19, 2007 4:51 pm  
Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

Tony, were you a keeper? Is it something about the psychological profile of a keeper (I think I have one even though my technical skills have a long way to go) and the psychological profile of a blogger? Individualistic, passionate and slightly mad?

Anyway, yeah she got me, but she was a big girl. We shook amicably at the end, mutually apologised, forgave, and there was respect. Her goal was the real get-back, more than the kick in the head.

Here are Jacob's Tips:

Newcastle vs Queensland
Roar 0:3

Sydney vs Adelaide
United 1:2

Melbourne vs Perth
Victory 3:0

Wellington vs Central Coast
Mariners 1:3

October 19, 2007 6:17 pm  
Blogger john said...

What a game - both yours Hamish and New v Roar! Looks like we should go watch you play - may see some real action.

Well down Neil (1-1).

Now the Roar deserve to get 50,000 at Lang Park - everyone is raving about Zullo/Kruse (even SBS are claiming that their combo was obvious).

Being back Tiatto for Marcinho.

October 19, 2007 10:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bugger... and i was thinking CCM would win too..(sic)

October 21, 2007 5:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home