Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Despair and Repentance

First of all, have a look at this photo of Roar's new super-youngster Ben Griffin scoring one of the coolest goals, not to mention the Roar's first for a while. The image is from the A-League site, who I sincerely thank in advance for not suing me for breach of copyright.

I'm looking at the crowd behind Griffin. It's kind of nice that it's an apparently Roar supporting section of the stadium, evidenced by three Roar shirts and a cap. But then I note that of the ten faces I can see, only three of them actually saw the goal. The girl in green in the middle was lucky to do so because she appears to be watching the game despite her boyfriend trying to distract her attention. This crowd does not expect a goal, but is there in some sort of dutiful loyalty.

The bloke toward the left in a Roar shirt sums up something in his demeanour for me. Blank, unexcited face, arms crossed - a generally grim resignation in his face and body language. He sums up how I felt at that very moment, and although I was in front of a TV, like him I was at least watching the moment. I try to imagine that same bloke a half a second later when he saw the ball hit the back of the net, then half a second after that when he realised that he really did see the ball go into the back of the net and there was a whistle blowing and that there might even be a god after all.

From zero to 120 in less than a second. Pure orgasm. That's why we do this.

I feel for the other seven faces in the picture who missed the moment. But they would have almost instantly been caught up in euphoria anyway. And that's why we have replays.

There is a reason I didn't blog about that game afterward and it's not a flattering one. It was guilt. For weeks I had stuck to my Queensland loyalty and hope despite the mounting evidence that Queensland was slipping. I hung in there, and I believed. My son - my own flesh and blood - had abandoned hope long before and I was determined to show him what loyalty meant, and what hope-against-all-odds, Queensland-style, meant. But after that abysmal effort at Suncorp in Round 16 I snapped. I committed the sin of despair.

To the boys in Haz-Chem orange I submit my sincere apologies, and the following commitment. Through thick and thin I will never stop believing in you again. Yes, Frank, that even goes for you. You're a Brisbane boy after all, and I ought to have a little faith.

For the time being, you're still in this game Queensland. Go the bloody Roar!

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Cecilia said...

Well... I'm not sure if I should be disappointed in you or not Hamish. Considering I went to every Melbourne match even when we knew we were going to come last out of the Aussies, I would have expected the Queensland nut that you are to have supported them through thick and thin.

Nevertheless you have realised the error of your ways. :) I appreciated the analysis of the crowd, and to be honest I couldn't tell you much about the second half of the Melbourne match against Kiwiland as I was too carried away chanting.

But I think what you said about the crowd is in line with my earlier comments. Hopefully the A-League will continue to grow and crowds distracted as shown in the picture will become less prominent.

Go the Roar!

P.S. Except on Jan 12. For the moment anyway... if you're really desperate for 3 points I may change my allegiance for the night.

December 19, 2006 12:48 pm  
Blogger john said...

Yes we need the points Scary. Melb struggled a bit against NZ except for 15 minutes the other night (they got 4, they should have got the other 3 to make the 7 I was tipping) - and NZ seemed to have signed and played 4 new players due to a contract disagreement over the new franchise arrangements (I am surpised this in the rules to be honest).

I'm with you Hamish.

By the way, I think Frank is from North Qld.

December 19, 2006 6:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hamish, I think we don't have to expect too much from Farina at the moment. He took over the team halfway through the season and he has had to learn the ropes quickly because this is not the NSL.

Good win though against the Mariners, in difficult times a win is a win no matter how ugly. I also don't think the Mariners thought the Roar could get something out of that match.

I agree with Scary, at times like these its best to stick to your team and expect the best out of them after all there is no relegation in the A-League and so maybe next year the Roar will regain the form that they had early in the season but then this time for the full season.

Cheers.

December 19, 2006 9:30 pm  
Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

Thanks for the interest people.

Scary, you are too generous. Are you sure you don't just want to moce to Queensland and buy a council road worker shirt? You are more loyal to the Roar boys than me!

John, I did some rudimentary research (read: I looked up Wikipedia), and discover that Farina was in fact born in Darwin, and grew up in PNG and Cairns. I guess the Brisbane connection was really just consolidated with the Strikers. In any case I've decided to just trust the bastard for now, through want of other options. I'll make renewed assesssment and reserve my right to diss him in the off-season.

Wes, you make it sound like the Roar win was undeserved! I think there was one bad decision against CC, which may well have been a goal and hence decisive, but it was easilly made up for by an unforgiveable penalty call against the Roar (the second one) along with a missed blatant penalty by CC against Mori. As Scary said over on her blog, the reffing had a lot to be desired, though it appears on the surface to come down to one line official.

Anyway, my point is that three very good goals vs two penalties certainly looks like a well deserved, convincing win. The Roar played better.

December 20, 2006 4:01 am  
Blogger Cecilia said...

Hamish, I have rough plans to do a PhD at the Uni of Qld, but I need to finish my undergrad stuff first. So perhaps in two years time.

Just so we're clear, I have an orange long sleeved hoodie that I could wear under my Dutch shirt, and I could top it off with my orange safety vest. Of course, this attire will not be worn when the Victory play.

December 20, 2006 10:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be fair, Frank did some things right against CCM and the Roar deserved their win- namely he managed to play players in their actual positions, shock horror!

I think next season is when he'll be judged properly. Should be interesting to see how he goes, and whether he learnt from his time at the NT helm.

While I can't say Roar are my second team- don't have one at all, somehow, good luck with the rest of the season (except on Jan 12, where I'll be hoping for a glorious flogging by the Victory in the run into the finals series).

December 21, 2006 3:05 am  
Blogger Jeccy56 said...

Well I never stopped believing in the boys. I did however yell obsenaticies at the computer and then tell everybody in Germany that the Roar severly suck! So I guess they deserve an apology from me to!!

December 21, 2006 3:41 am  
Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

Cheers again everybody and thanks for the comments Djecker and Jeccy.

The joke on me, kindly pointed out to me by John in the discretion of a phone call, is that the photo above is clearly not from the game vs Central Coast. Ben Griffin is wearing his home-kit. Duh!

I thought it was a bit too neat that the crowd behind him were Roar supporters.

December 21, 2006 6:07 am  
Blogger Greg Horgan said...

Hamish, still reading even if I don't comment often. Every one goes through the ups and downs whilst supporting. I stopped going to Victory games last season, not because of the results, but i was sick of people slagging off Merrick in the stands. THe fact was, Melbourne's team last year wasn't good enough and had no one to create anything if kitzbichler(?) and thompson (when he was there) weren't dong anything.

In fact I felt a similar frustration during the World Cup when I told some ignorant "Fanatic" who was sat next to me to shut the f$%£ up during the Croatia game when he wanted Kewell off for ONE misplaced pass.

Not sure where I'm going with this but just illustrating our doubts, frustrations and different expectations and views as fans

Your heart is in the right place Hamish, keep up the good work.

December 21, 2006 10:25 am  
Blogger Jeccy56 said...

Don't worry about the mistake. I didn't pick it up either! I didn't even think about it, but then again, Ben Griffin hasn't played that much, so they wouldn't have many action shot of him!

December 21, 2006 8:59 pm  
Blogger john said...

Hi Greg - I find watching Merrick very interesting - he never shows emotion - like someone who knows that things could be good now but you never know what's round the corner. He is in the zen and the art of football...

December 22, 2006 9:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home