Friday, November 16, 2007

The Roar Rock Ok?

The most complicated part of my game preparation today was getting a frangipani to put behind my ear for the game. I had to plan ahead, because I had to go more-or-less straight to the game after work, after catching a cab to get Jacob and his mate Stav. So on the way to work in the morning I got a couple of the flowers and did my best during the day to keep them ok. They were pretty bad by the end of the day, but I stuck with it and stuck one behind my ear, decrepit as it was, for the game. The only other preparation I had was having a Sunshine Kebab for lunch (they sponsor the Roar). You have no idea how nervous I was about this game, especially after my hubristic outburst last week. I really thought the Roar were up to it, but so many things go wrong in football, and, ok, maybe beating Wellington at home wasn't too convincing. We beat them last time at home after all.

The moment of confidence came when I found a frangipani tree right near the stadium as we walked the last 100 meters to the game, and popped a beautiful fresh one back there under my hat. Nothing could go wrong now.

Ten minutes into the game of course I knew we were fine. We seemed all over the so-called 'Victory', and Kruse's goal off Matty's cross was class. For any doubters now, let's be clear - we didn't have Tiatto, we didn't have Zullo, and after half an hour we lost Moore as well. Ok, I admit after Moore went off - who frankly was dulling Thomson's game with aplomb - I was worried. But no need. Does anyone want to doubt that Farina and the Roar rock? Go on - let me know.

Toward the end the Victory had a few free kicks and Jacob, as cynical and emotionally self-protective as ever, kept saying, "they're going to score." I grinned at him at these points and said, "I remind you that I have a frangipani behind my ear." At his cynical rejoinder I explained, "Look, some people put their faith in God, I am putting my faith in a frangipani behind my ear." The logic was unassailable. It quite clearly worked. From now on I have a frangipani behind my ear at every home game. I just hope the frangipani season holds out 'till the end of the season.

On the way home from the train Jacob and Stav played some very creative soccer with an empty plastic Coke bottle along the road, passing, crossing, back-healing, doing rainbows, reminding me why this stuff was so cool. Tomorrow they play, in the West End Terrors, the Reds, in Indoor Soccer, and I reckon they're gonna win that.

Joyous evening. What more do we want?

Look out Sydney... we're coming for you next.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jeccy56 said...

Putting faith in a flower. Now that's a new one. But, it seems to be working so I won't knock it.

Down to Sydney next week!!!!

November 18, 2007 1:29 pm  
Blogger Whistler said...

Poisonous flowers do the trick!
Roar overcome mystifying officiating!
Frank Farina runs out of gum!
Referee over-rules assistant referee on throw in!
Reddy has a top game!
Williams watches backplay and then awards a foul he did not see!
Roar defence holds solid!
Referee well out of position on many occasions!
Archie Thompson kept quiet!
Where do you get those flowers?

November 19, 2007 6:31 pm  
Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

Whistler: Where do you get those flowers?

For the sake of the exercise I'm going to assume that wasn't a rhetorical question.

They're all over Brisbane - they're very Brisbane in fact - and have come into beautiful bloom this year. They also stay beautiful and fragrant for many hours. You see them being worn around the place - albeit mostly by chicks, but I don't care. Am a bit of a hippy at heart.

I truly can't see it happening but I can at least imagine thousands of Roar fans wearing them - it would be a uniquely Queensland and distinctive statement of support. And of course, as now proven beyond reasonable doubt, good luck.

If you're walking to the Stadium from the City/Roma St Station, along the right hand side of Milton Road, there's a really lovely tree about 20 meters down Clifton St on the right hand side.

Would love to catch up with yourself and your daughter before a game sometime mate. Blogger's unite (especially Roar bloggers).

November 20, 2007 7:43 am  
Blogger The Round Ball Analyst said...

I love it.

Great piece Hamish. Particularly love the depths you went to in the morning to ensure the flower flourished at night. Now you truly are a football man. Soon, before a match, you'll be making sure the right shin-pad goes on first or that the left shoelace is done first.

May the Frangipani's flock and the Roar continue to Rock.

November 20, 2007 8:16 pm  
Blogger Jeccy56 said...

Sounds like a plan Hamish
Where abouts do you and Jacob sit?

November 21, 2007 2:31 pm  
Blogger Hamish Alcorn said...

Jacob and I don't have season tickets because we often bring people along - usually one of Jacob's mates but for the 9th December match against CCM (and also the Women's A-League game beforehand) I'm organising a bunch from our futsal team. Season tickets don't allow for one to go with new people and sit with them. You see, I am a compulsive evangelist by nature.

Do you have season tickets, and if so where are you?

November 21, 2007 7:13 pm  
Blogger Jeccy56 said...

Yeop. We gots season tickets. Love our seats, have had them since the beginning. It's so wonderful not wandering around trying to find our seats. Plus, the people who sit behind us are great funny.

Oh, and we sit 301

November 22, 2007 9:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hamish, I just noticed your Fox Sports Fantasy team was the best of the round!

Nice work ;)

November 22, 2007 11:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home